Saturday 5 May 2012

RECENT LIVE MUSIC - Templarios (All Blacks Irish Pub, Sao Paulo/Brazil, April 13)



At the end of a long but productive work week in Sao Paulo Brazil in early April, I was invited to hear live music with a work colleague, Silvo Favero.  I jumped on the opportunity to experience music in a new setting, Brazil!  I did not know what to expect but was assured the music was 70's and 80's rock music.  That was good enough for me. What made it further intriguing was that the lead singer was also a work colleague who supported the Legal department.  Intriguing to say the least!

So on a Friday the 13th of April, I wait for Silvio and his wife to pick me up from the Mercure hotel at 10:00pm (told that nothing starts before this time).  At 10:45 they arrive and we do not find the pub until 11:30pm.  I’m thinking “what’s the point,” it will be over by 1:00am like in Canada.  How wrong I was!

Even at 30 minute before the midnight hour, there is still a line-up to get into the All Black Irish Pub in the heart of Sao Paulo. Once inside, after charging the $40 Brazilian Real entry fee against an electronic tab card, I was stunned with the number of people packed tightly into this small pub. It was impossible not to brush into people.  More than half the audience was young Brazilian women. Making my way to the bar and back for draft Heineken beers was quite an ordeal. The beer was watered down and the band was playing 90s music.  What an initial letdown!  But as I was to discover, this was only the first of three sets by the band Templarios, eventually moving to the 70s/80s and finally 50s/60s. 

In between sets, I finally recognized a new wave classic song (albeit in a modern cover version).  I was surprised that many were singing along to Talking Heads Psycho Killer “…fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa, better run, run, run, run, run away.”  I was now becoming a little more animated as the clock struck midnight.  I ordered a Guinness Hamburger and awaited Set two.

In between mouthfuls of this most delicious hamburger, the Templarios kick into gear, playing the kind of high energy new wave music I was hoping for.  I hear the opening chords of “Message in the Bottle” by the Police, and can only make it to the edge of bar. I jump on a stool and start moving to the fantastic rhythm.  The waitress is concerned that I am a safety violation, so I eventually get down as the song concludes.  Man can the lead singer, Gustavo Correia, belt out the tunes.  I make it to the front of the band, rejoining my friends, and we groove to “Down Under” by Men at Work. This is followed by “Dancing with Myself” by Billy Idol and all heck breaks loose as we pogo and jump to this punk anthem. The band continues its charge and we are treated to “Boys Don’t Cry” by the Cure. What an interesting choice of music.  Not your typical fare!!  The band continues the new wave theme with more current songs “Last Night” by the Strokes, culminating in a fever pitch with one of my personal favourites “Take Me Out” by Franz Ferdinand. The kinetic stop-start and piercing guitar hook from this song were extremely well played by the Templarios.  Definitely the highlight of the night for me!!

After a much needed rest between sets, the band moved farther into rock and roll past, performing faithful and energetic covers of early Beatles “I Saw Her Standing There”, Elvis “Suspicious Minds,” Doors “Love Me Two Times,” Pink Floyd “Another Brick in the Wall” and ended the night at 2:00am with “Easy” by the Commodores.

What a fun night enjoying a versatile and eclectic song mix from accomplished part-time musicians who clearly are enthusiastic about rock music, playing selections that are fresh and exciting in a live setting.  The pub was hopping, beer was flowing, the band was rocking, the music was loud and the crowd was bopping!!!   What more could one ask for in a near perfect night in Sao Paulo, Brazil?  Only that more friends and family could have been here to share in this experience.








For more information on the Templarios band, please click on this link to their website www.bandatemplarios.com.br.

Formada em 2005, seus integrantes Artur Horta (Baixo), Emerson Inoguti (Teclado/Vocal), Felipe Horta (Bateria), Gustavo Correia (Vocal/Guitarra) e Rodrigo Gonçalves (Guitarra/Vocal) 

2 comments:

  1. Hi man! i'm Rodrigo ( Templarios lead guitar) we enjoued your comments so much! tks a lot to do this and hope to see you again in our concerts.
    our updated page is in facebook:

    www.facebook.com/bandatemplarios


    regards
    RG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rodrigo, thank you and Banda Templarios for a great evening!!

    I hope to see you again in the future and hear the full three sets.

    Best wishes,

    John

    ReplyDelete