Saturday 28 September 2013

CONCERT REVIEW - Pere Ubu, Lee's Palace, Toronto (Sept 18, 2013)


I must say, I was eagerly anticipating making a return to the iconic bar/concert venue known as Lee's Palace in Toronto.  It has hosted a number of great up-and-coming alternative bands from the 70s-80s and continues to do so today. When I discovered that Pere Ubu was performing, I was excited to experience this influential experimental rock band form Cleveland, Ohio fronted by the lumbering David Thomas.

I had discovered Pere Ubu's music during my vinyl hunting journey, and must admit that I knew little of the band and music.  Well, what an incredible discovery. Better late at 53, than never! Their first two albums 'Modern Dance' and 'Dub Housing' are masterpieces of punk/garage/post punk/underground music.  Still challenging but unique and rewarding with repeated listening. This is not Justin Beiber!

How to describe a band that has no peer?  Let me attempt.....   I would describe Pere Ubu as the Talking Heads meets Residents with a flash of Cpt Beefheart at times constructing soundscapes reminiscent of David Lynch's fine cult movies.   No wonder many are not more familiar with this enigmatic band.  But the band has continued to release interesting music and has a dedicated loyal cult following.

The Venue:  Lee's Palace appeared to me much smaller than I remembered, but that makes for a far more intimate experience. Also was in need of some upgrading, as it gave off a late 70s seedy feel, especially in toilets.  Part of the charm, I suspect.  I even scored one of the few stools available for seating around a mosh pit in front of the stage.  

The Crowd:  The early crowd was predominately 50s male with a particular interest in experimental/alternative music.  Early to line up for 8pm entrance to secure a seat, most likely.  The later crowd (filtering in until 10pm band start) was younger with some diversity and were happy to stand for the 90 minute concert duration.  Nonetheless, women were scarce, with a ratio of 10 men for every woman.  I tried convincing my wife to attend, but I made the mistake of actually playing their unique music at home in her presence.  Definitely, not her cup of tea.

The Opening Act:  Non other than ...... David Thomas.  Yes, the Pere Ubu front-man was also the opening act!  Well, he wasn't actually singing but more like rambling to his own internal stream of conciousness.  The set lasted no more than 30 mins, but featured a synth player via Video screen, a crazy chicken-man bringing David some 'refreshments' and finally a 'normal' guitarist.  Strange to say the least. The music was tense, and the wordplay was eerie.

David Thomas during the set was seated, eyes closed, hypnotised, sleep talking. He appeared to me as a crazy preacher in a trance possessed in a haunted house. A rambling madman, Rock poet or a Sufi saint, in the words of a fellow Ubu fan, Andrei.  You be the judge, based on his words:

"Radio playing all night. Somewhere"
"Received a call in a phone booth in the desert"
"Rise in an orange grove"

   

The Band:  Pere Ubu is David Thomas, who has been the one constant throughout the various personnel changes. The band was formed in 1975, released the two above mentioned influential LPs  'Modern Dance' and 'Dub Housing' in 1978/1979 and have just released this year their 14th studio album 'Lady from Shanghai'. Nonetheless, commercial success has evaded this unique avant-garde approach to music making.  And some bitterness is evident in Thomas' monologues betweens songs (see Quotes below), especially, "I have dreams too, you know. I never thought I'd spend my life in bars, hanging out back in dumpsters."  Poignant.  Pere Ubu deserves a better fate.  Hopefully, this review will peek your interest in this fascinating band!

David Thomas himself at 60 years of age seems frail, especially when exiting the stage.  He performed the entire set seated in a comfortable leather chair, sipping on a full bottle of wine at his feet.  At one point, off with his boot to pull up his sock.  Very Anti-Rock Star behaviour in my opinion.  Perhaps this is his new persona, Joe Music Anybody coming from your living room chair.  What were kinetic spastic body convulsions on stage are now limited to expressive facial and hand gestures. Still very effective.

The band is tight, the music is thunderous in this small venue and the strange noise box manipulated by what would be the synth band member was extraordinary.  Oh, and let's not forget the powerful voice from the seated Giant!

The Music Set:  The selection of music was rather eclectic although heavily drawn from their most recent release 'Lady from Shanghai'.  Thomas chose what he wanted to play rather than a 'greatest hits' collection or full rendering of 'Modern Dance' LP which had been previously performed.  Instead, new obscure songs from an already rather obscure band.  Full disclosure that I was was not familiar with their full catalogue of music, but this did not in any way diminish my enjoyment of this experience. Nevertheless, I was able to re-construct the full song set list as follows :

Love Love Love
Free White
Mandy
Vacuum in My Mind
Over My Head
Breath
Musicians are Scum
And Then Nothing Happened
Modern Dance
Road Trip of Bipasha Ahmed
Misery Goats
Another One (oh Maybellene)
414 Seconds
Goodnite Irene
Encore:
Final Solution 
Heaven
Gone Gone Gone

Highlight:  "Final Solution" which seemed to awake the Giant from his slumber, and we were treated to a hint of the old Master, with dramatic gestures over his heart, and hand protecting his head in the moment of final apocalypse.  Spellbinding!!!

Honourable Mention goes to "Modern Dance", perhaps the signature Pere Ubu song that rocks ten times better in live than on vinyl or CD.

Lowlight:  Only TWO song from 'Modern Dance', NONE from 'Dub Housing'?  C'mon.  I get it that the band is promoting 'Lady from Shanghai', but REALLY, half the songs from new LP before the encore?

The World According to David Thomas (Concert Quotes):
"You have been asleep the past 35 years. I have been awake. Everything you know is wrong." (Pere Ubu had massive hit in 1978, according to Thomas)
"Toronto show .... start of 17 date sold out run at Giants stadium."
"For every lady that comes to the show, 500 people come. Statistical fact. For every 57 year old pot-bellied man ... for every one of those my brothers that come to the show, 2 people don't come. So you can see how important the ladies are."
"Did a tour in Denmark, a summerfest....and we were opening for Kool and the Gang."
"I have dreams too, you know. I never thought I'd spend my life in bars, hanging out back in dumpsters. I dreamed that I was Jon Bon Jovi."
"We're not friends. We've got this nice platform here. You've down there somewhere."
"I was a record store clerk. That's why I got into Rock music. I thought I could make better shit than this."
"I've entertained you this evening with plenty of pain from my personal life. I'm glad you had a good time with it."

Rating:  4/5 'Rock' Band;    5/5 Performing Arts Act

Original Video:
Check out David Thomas performing live in 1989 radio-friendly "Breath" video.  What an entertaining performer!

No comments:

Post a Comment